Sunday, November 8, 2009

Houston, we have a problem

Engineering was about to execute a database migration script and we had tested it several times before on a separate environment. However the weekend had come where we shut down the production server to do our jobs.
My job was to make sure, after the migration, everything worked fine. There was only one problem. On that weekend, I had a problem with my VPN connection. It was essential for me because without connection it wouldn't be possible to test whether the migration was successful or not. When I raised the call I got a message saying that there is no support on the weekend for internal IT occurencies...
...Fortunately I could test without having the VPN, but I could not take part in the decisions and coordination of the process because my business email could not be connected anymore. Although I informed all involved parties about the issue and that they should send all related information to my private email rather than using my business email, I only got half of the messages. It was a small challenge to get all required information but I still managed to do the job. Still I asked myself what those guys are doing if someone decides to perform a DNOS attack on the weekend.
But I have to be grateful. What surprised me most was, that immediately on Monday, a nice guy from IT came to my desk and showed me how I could access our business email from home without the need of VPN....

3 comments:

  1. Your blog is really interesting.I'm waiting for your new post.
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ThanX a lot. I feel pleased. I feel happy if people like it. It is always hard to find out myself, whether or this, the cartoon is funny or not. In most times, I smile at the scenario before it is even drawn.

    btw, how did you learn about this blog?
    Best wishes
    Tojz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, too! Just by reading the descriptions, it remembers me my old time in the company. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete