One of the most reliable "bugs" we met regularly is what we call the "Umlaut" bug. Often we notice cases in our database which are displayed incorrectly. Namely Polish and/or German characters are regularly screwed up somewhere. Corrupt here means that it is displayed as a black square with a white question mark or a simple empty rectangle. The test pattern to look for broken text is effective at all test levels, be it it the UI or even at a lower level such as Web Service responses.
I keep telling people that I have more talent to break things than to
actually build things, since, whatever I touch breaks apart very
quickly. This has led me to the testing business. Honestly, I hope
this is just a myth since I also built things successfully; things that
are still running today (years later) and which are used (unchanged) by a
large group of people worldwide. I am inspired a lot by the speaches,
articles and books of James Whittaker, Dorothy Graham, Johnathan Kohl
and many many more; I am hungry to learn from them on a continuous
basis and apply some of these techniques to my daily work. I am also
inspired by a lot of bugs that I met in the past and which regularly
come back to visit me.
It all started in a garage... Not really,
but with a C128 with which I developed a simple ordering software that I
used at my work at Transat Sport AG, a wholesaler of Wilson Rackets
and Reebok sport-shoes. It was no rocket science, all hard coded, no
database, but it was the trigger for me to slip into the IT Business and
I never left it ever since. Later, I got facinated by test automation,
using tools such as Rational Robot, SOAPUI, InCisif, WatiN, Selenium and
I also love home-brew solutions developed in C#. I love PerlClip and AllPairs, I love to test through the side-door and last but not least... I
love to draw cartoons about software testing, my way of expressing
weird experiences into something more exhilarant. GIYBF if you look for
"simply the test".